Would you be surprised to discover that…
- Neither the word Trinity nor its central premise of “one God in three persons” can be found in the Bible?
- The doctrine of the Trinity was not fully articulated until more than 300 years after the close of the New Testament?
- It owes more to Greek philosophy and the writings of Aristotle in particular…than it does to the Apostles?
- The Trinity relies upon exceptions and disclaimers to keep from falling apart in the face of Scriptures that would threaten to refute it?
And yet the Trinity is regarded as the litmus test of orthodoxy…
“It is indeed true that the name ‘Trinity’ is nowhere to be found in the Holy Scriptures, but has been conceived and invented by man.”Martin Luther
Could you explain the Trinity to someone else?
- Would you compare it to ice, water, and steam? This is the heresy of Modalism!
- Would you liken it to a three-leaf clover? This is effectively polytheism since you can remove one of the leaves without destroying the other two!
- Do you think of the Trinity like an egg: three different parts that make up the whole? This actually denies the Trinity because the three are not equal!
- In reality, the Trinity is basically saying that “1 + 1 + 1 = 1”
And yet proponents of the Trinity assert that while it clearly “transcends reason,” it is not contrary to it…
“Falsehoods not only disagree with truths, but usually quarrel among themselves.”Daniel Webster
What if there is a better answer?
- Affirming the full deity of Christ…or not…is what differentiates Christianity from other religions and cults
- Contrary to what we have been told, when it comes to both affirming the full deity of Christ while staying true to Scripture, the Trinity is not our only option…
- Instead of turning to philosophy as the way to understand “Father, Son, and Holy Spirit,” we need look no further than Scripture itself to understand the importance of this phrase
And you won’t need a Doctor of Divinity degree to understand it!
“All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them.”Galileo Galilei
Latest from the Blog…
Part 5 of the video series, “Understanding the Trinity,” is now available on YouTube. It picks up where Part 4 left off, as it seeks to unravel the reasons why this doctrine persists as the arbiter of Christian orthodoxy…in spite of the vast number of Scriptures that appear to (and in fact, do) invalidate it.Continue reading “A Mighty Fortress “for” Our (Triune) God”
Ready to take a closer look?
You can get a sense of the entire book and review the Table of Contents…
And read through Part 1 to get a better understanding of the problems with this doctrine.
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox.